Hamden, CT, United States
As a writer and poet living in Connecticut, I find my own poetic inspirations tend to arise from the wonders lurking in my garden. Join me as I explore the benefits of native gardens, search for everyday insights from the landscape and its many visitors and follow me as I craft my poems and enjoy the work of other poets and writers.

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Recap



So the rain stopped.  The wind stayed.  But still, it was a good day to garden.  Today I was able to start some new projects and do some "housecleaning".  

First the Allium.  Gorgeous.  Last year it was lost in the back of the perennial garden.  I moved it up to the middle/front around the bird bath.  It's happy.  I'm happy.


Next.  I managed to get a shot of our visiting Turkey today.  She hung out on the front lawn for a bit and then down the street she went.  Not the best shot but you get the idea.


















Today I weeded the Pergola area.  I mulched the new shrubs I put in last weekend and installed a soaker hose through the shrub area.  Soaker hoses allow the water to drip from them along their entire length.  This allows water to seep into the ground without "spraying" the water in the air where some loss occurs from wind/dissipation etc.  Therefore for managing new plantings soaker hoses are very resource efficient.  




I had lost a silvermound in the garden outside my living room so I weeded this garden and replanted a new one.  Not sure what happened to the silvermound.  It was in its third year and seemed okay but these things happen.  This is a standing garden -- I don't change it year over year.  Its design is meant to be viewed straight on AND at an angle from East to West --- The silvermound was there for a balance effect in the former and a center line of sight in the latter.  

Finally my family installed the raised beds in the vegetable garden today.  More soil is needed so I'll get clean fill this week.  I mixed organic soil with Peat today to fill two beds.  Two more to go.  

I did see the deer but not the fox and not the hummingbird.  Oh well.  There's always tomorrow.  "Til then, E

No comments:

Post a Comment