Hamden, CT, United States
As a writer and poet living in Connecticut, I find my own poetic inspirations tend to arise from the wonders lurking in my garden. Join me as I explore the benefits of native gardens, search for everyday insights from the landscape and its many visitors and follow me as I craft my poems and enjoy the work of other poets and writers.

Saturday, May 9, 2009

Rain, rain go away...

So it seems "April Showers, May flowers" is more of a guideline.  

This first week of May has been nothing but rain.  The tulips are gone. The daffodils are soggy.  The rhododendron flowers that the bumble bee was enjoying with abandon are scattered.  While it rained the Allium bloomed as did the lilacs and Columbine.  Unfortunately, the rain was all the dandelions needed.  The lawn, mowed last week is knee deep and a sea of yellow. 

During all of this the cats remained inside or stowed away in the shed and on the porch.  

Today, the rain stopped.  I enjoyed a brief garden walk this morning with my coffee.  I saw the Bleeding Hearts bouncing as if still dancing amid raindrops.  It was the hummingbird.  The first I've seen of her this season.  

Before I could grab my camera a Turkey appeared. Then another.  The first was female.  The male was following her.  They walked from the back of the property to the front and then ran down the street to the Farm entrance.  

I had a lot of errands to run today.  But when I came back I happened upon a red fox making his way through my yard.  

A hummingbird, two turkeys and a fox.  So much better than the ticks hitchhiking on Munchie's sleek grey coat.  

Either way, they are all welcome.  They are excited to be out and about now that the rain has stopped.  I went grocery shopping.  They are foraging, hunting, making their way through their day.  I can't wait until Tomorrow.  I wonder what else I'll see.  


No comments:

Post a Comment