Hamden, CT, United States
As a writer and poet living in Connecticut, I find my own poetic inspirations tend to arise from the wonders lurking in my garden. Join me as I explore the benefits of native gardens, search for everyday insights from the landscape and its many visitors and follow me as I craft my poems and enjoy the work of other poets and writers.

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Iris has arrived and with it, Rainbows



This weekend brought an inch and a half of rain and iris buds... A few have bloomed.  This one is in front of the Alliums ... 

Now the garden is looking quite full... The peony buds continue to grow... the lupines and bee balm is gaining in height, the poppies are rounding out.  The columbine has bloomed as well.    















In the moon garden all four "corner" shrubs are in full bloom.  The Snowball Viburnum and Bridal Wreath spirea at one end; the white beach rose and another Viburnum with horizontal blooms anchoring the other by the arbor.   I am debating pruning the horizontal viburnum back this year vs. moving it.  Anyway, these are common shrubs for a garden.  They are striking and grouped together to anchor the Moon Garden their profuse white spring blooms are frame the space quite nicely.  


It's been heavy on the rain and work... but I'll post more pictures of the irises as they bloom... I have some 40 or so around the gardens.... stay tuned... 

Writer's compost:  The Greek Goddess Iris is known as the 'Keeper of Rainbows'.  Imagine you are her, where would you keep them?  When might you share them?

1 comment: