Hamden, CT, United States
As a writer and poet living in Connecticut, I find my own poetic inspirations tend to arise from the wonders lurking in my garden. Join me as I explore the benefits of native gardens, search for everyday insights from the landscape and its many visitors and follow me as I craft my poems and enjoy the work of other poets and writers.

Monday, May 11, 2009

Getting ready for the Peonies


Peonies are native to Western North America, Southern Europe and Asia, however, they manage quite nicely here in Connecticut.  Best planted in the fall, the peony depends on that cold snap to bloom so mulching is not necessary.  Cool well drained soil is best. 

My garden has quite a few plants.  They are full of buds and growing nicely.  

Yesterday in my basic garden chores I staked a few plants which didn't have garden rings yet.  Usually I place the rings around the Peonies before they gain any height.  3 Weeks ago the peonies were just popping up through the soil.  Today they are 1-3 feet tall.  It was now or never for the rings.  

They support the Peony stems which will have full heavy blooms.  They'll stand on their own at first but with a single rain they are likely to slump over and their blooms will be more difficult to see amid the garden growth.  Thinning the buds is recommended leaving only the main terminal bud.  I don't do this.

By the way, the plants without stakes are ones I moved or "split" last fall.  I knew it was a risk. Peonies don't like to be moved and can "punish" the gardener by not blooming for a few seasons.  But it looks like it will be an abundant bloom year despite my tempting the mischievous Peony nymphs. 

Anyway -- Just a quick comment about the buds.  If you love this plant you should be aware that ants do too.   Ants crawl all over Peony buds.  Sometimes dozens per bud well into dusk.  They are eating the sweet droplets on the bud itself.  For this reason, consider carefully how close you plant Peonies to your foundation.  The ants wont hurt you.  They don't hurt the plant.  But they will find your peonies.  

No comments:

Post a Comment