Hamden, CT, United States
As a writer and poet living in Connecticut, I find my own poetic inspirations tend to arise from the wonders lurking in my garden. Join me as I explore the benefits of native gardens, search for everyday insights from the landscape and its many visitors and follow me as I craft my poems and enjoy the work of other poets and writers.

Friday, April 24, 2009

Do you ebird?

Are you a recreational bird watcher? (If you answered no, we'll chat about that later but for those of you who said yes...) Check out ebird!

ebird is a real-time, online checklist program and it's revolutionized the way that the birding community reports and accesses information about birds.

The Cornell Lab of Ornithology and National Audubon Society launched the tool in 2002 and today eBird provides rich data sources for basic information on bird abundance and distribution at a variety of spatial and temporal scales. For example: In 2006 4.6 million observations were reported in North America alone. Think of how rich a sample exists with year over year reporting.

The program pulls together vast numbers of bird observations made each year by recreational and professional bird watchers so scientists can develop insights into bird distributions across the globe.

Signups are NOW for New Jerseys' World Series of birding! The WSB begins at midnight on the second Saturday in May and ends 24 hours later. This annual event falls during a time of peak migration in New Jersey. Support the ebirding teams in this annual fundraiser.

Cheers, Eli


No comments:

Post a Comment